Memorial of St. Teresa of Avila, Virgin and Doctor of the Church


St. Teresa of Jesus, honored by the Church as the "seraphic virgin" and reformer of the Carmelite Order, ranks first among women for wisdom and learning. In a report to Pope Paul V the Roman Rota declared: "Teresa has been given to the Church by God as a teacher of the spiritual life. The mysteries of the inner mystical life which the holy Fathers propounded unsystematically and without orderly sequence, she has presented with unparalleled clarity." Her writings are still the classic works on mysticism, and from her, all later teachers have drawn.

Teresa was born at Avila, Spain, in the year 1515. At the age of seven, she set out for Africa to die for Christ but was brought back by her uncle. When she lost her mother at twelve, she implored Mary for her maternal protection. In 1533 she entered the Carmelite Order; for eighteen years she suffered physical pain and spiritual dryness. Under divine inspiration and with the approval of Pope Pius IV, she began the work of reforming the Carmelite Order. In spite of heavy opposition and constant difficulties, she founded thirty-two reformed convents.

Truly wonderful were the exterior and interior manifestations of her mystical union with God, especially during the last decade of her life. These graces reached a climax when her heart was transfixed, an event that is commemorated in the Carmelite Order by a special feast on August 27. She practiced great devotion to the foster-father of Jesus, whose cult was greatly furthered throughout the Church through her efforts. When dying she often repeated the words: "Lord, I am a daughter of the Church!" Her holy body rests upon the high altar of the Carmelite church in Alba, Spain; her heart with its mysterious wound is reserved in a reliquary on the Epistle side of the altar.

--

O God, who through your Spirit raised up Saint Teresa of Jesus to show the Church the way to seek perfection, grant that we may always be nourished by the food of her heavenly teaching and fired with longing for true holiness.

2 views

The Cathedral of Saint Peter is the Mother Church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Scranton. The Cathedral has been serving the faithful of the diocese and beyond since 1853.

CONTACT US

Tel: 570-344-7231

Fax: 570-344-4749

 

315 Wyoming Avenue 

Scranton, PA 18503

 

info@stpeterscathedral.org  

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

© 2020 by Cathedral of Saint Peter.  Website by John Cuck Websites.