Memorial of St. John Neumann, bishop


We celebrate this memorial in a special way at the Cathedral since the Cathedral altar houses the bones of St. John Neumann. In addition to the facts presented below, he was the fourth Bishop of Philadelphia which comprised the territory which would become the Diocese of Scranton in 1868. He was also the founder of Saint Vincent de Paul Parish in 1853 that later became the Cathedral Parish.


--


John Nepomucene Neumann was born on March 28, 1811, the third of six children of a stocking knitter and his wife in the village of Prachatitz in Bohemia. From his mother he acquired the spirit of piety and through her encouragement entered the Seminary at Budweis.


During his seminary years, he yearned to be a foreign missionary in America. He left his native land and was ordained in June, 1836 by Bishop John Dubois in New York. He spent four years in Buffalo and the surrounding area building churches and establishing schools.


In 1840, he joined the Redemptorists. Eight years later he became a United States citizen. By order of Pope Pius IX in 1852 he was consecrated fourth Bishop of Philadelphia. His mastery of eight languages proved extremely helpful in his quest for souls. He was a pioneer promoter of the Parochial School System in America.

One of the highlights of Saint John Neumann's life was his participation, in Rome, in the Proclamation of the Dogma of our Blessed Mother's Immaculate Conception. Through his efforts, the Forty Hours Devotion was introduced in the Philadelphia Diocese. He founded the first church in America for Italian-speaking people. He also founded the Glen Riddle group of the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis.


At 48 years of age, he collapsed in the street on January 5, 1860. He is buried beneath the altar of the lower Church in St. Peter's Church in Philadelphia.


--


O God, who called the Bishop Saint John Neumann, renowned for his charity and pastoral service, to shepherd your people in America, grant by his intercession that, as we foster the Christian education of youth and are strengthened by the witness of brotherly love, we may constantly increase the family of your Church.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
CONTACT US

Tel: 570-344-7231

Fax: 570-344-4749

 

315 Wyoming Avenue 

Scranton, PA 18503

 

info@stpeterscathedral.org  

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS

The Cathedral of Saint Peter is the Mother Church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Scranton. The Cathedral has been serving the faithful of the diocese and beyond since 1853.

  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

© 2021 by Cathedral of Saint Peter.  Website by John Cuck Websites.